Today’s pic me up features snapshots from our weekend in Sarasota celebrating Brian’s cousin’s bat mitzvah. The entire experience was beautiful and one that I will cherish forever. I’d been to several Jewish services just in the last few months, but this weekend was the first time the whole converting to Judaism thing really truly clicked for me. Being there, surrounded by Brian’s family, witnessing his cousin who I’ve come to adore take on her Jewish life and lead a congregation of hundreds with such poise and maturity, really blew me away. The party was awesome too. Other highlights pictured above include a mini airport Cinnabon, the best-ever hotel pool, tasty Publix supermarket deli sandwiches, chaperoning a rambunctious bus full of excited 12 and 13-year olds and personal Papa Johns pizzas at the Tampa airport. One thing’s for sure, this past weekend was one for the books.
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of my latest desires and distractions.
1. I love Halloween, but it’s been years since I last got dressed in costume. I blame living in a city. For me, it’s always been about the kids and trick-or-treaters, not about the gratuitous sexy costumes. With that said, I’m still brainstorming ideas for when Brian and I own a home, and picked up a good tip (regular wardrobe ones too) from costume designer Catherine Martin of Moulin Rouge fame. I LOVE that movie). (Elle)
2. I love any and all make-your-own food bars, and really enjoyed Emily’s take on a low-key Halloween night in with friends. (Cupcakes and Cashmere)
3. Monica’s latest Bean Boots post, had me checking out the LL Bean site. I’m in need of a new light autumn jacket and really like the look of this one. Thoughts? (LL Bean)
4. I love Mark Bittman and have every intention of getting my hands on a copy of his newest book How to Cook Everything Fast. Here are 4 great tips from the man himself. (Bon Appetit)
5. I don’t really need anyone to tell me how to incorporate more leopard-print into my life, because I do a pretty bang-up job as it is, but for those of you who could use a little more inspiration, this is a good guide. (Glitter Guide)
6. My current luggage game is pretty top notch (check out my Travel Essentials if you haven’t already), but I’m always open to switching things up a bit. These days, I tend to stick to white bags, but can see myself making an exception for this simple, black duffel. (Nordstrom)
7. These photographs of people obsessed with their smartphones has me rethinking my own behavior. (Bored Panda)
8. I’m not really a fan of Beats headphones or sports for that matter, but it seems Brian’s love for Lebron James’s return to Cleveland has gotten to me too. Check out their latest commercial. (Huffington Post)
Back from our last trip of the season (we were in Sarasota celebrating Brian’s cousin Emma’s bat mitzvah. I have no words for how amazing it was.), and I’m finally ready to share that Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver vacation home video that I’d been promising.
We had the time of our lives and hope our home movie inspires you to check out each of the three cities yourself. I may or may not have stayed up until 3 in the morning editing this video, so an updated version of this post with links to the attractions featured throughout will come later tonight. Until then, sit back, relax and enjoy the show!
Music: “Cool Kids” by Echosmith
Hi friends! Here’s some Recipe Reciprocity goodness for you. It’s many hours late, but I hope you’ll forgive me given all of the great pumpkin recipes that I’ve rounded up for you. We can all agree pumpkin is the best thing about fall.
1. I’m on a bit of a hummus kick. Some months, I’m not into it, but then there are stretches of time like the one that I’m in right now where I want to dip everything in hummus. I’m a garlic hummus kind of girl, but that was before I discovered Pumpkin Hummus by Food Faith Fitness. Hummus that tastes like pumpkin pie? Genius!
2. Similar sentiments for The Kitchen McCabe’s Whipped Cinnamon Pumpkin Honey Butter. It looks surprisingly easy and makes for a great hostess gift or party favor.
3. Beautiful Pumpkin Sugar Cookies that are soft, dense and topped with cream cheese by Creme de la Crumb.
4. No matter how you slice it, my favorite pumpkin desserts are the caky, bready, crumbly kind. Damn Delicious’s Crumbly Pumpkin Bread hits the trifecta.
5. Saving the best for last, Creme de la Crumb’s gorgeous Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Soft Pretzels. I don’t usually share two recipes from the same blog, but this is my idea of pumpkin-snacking perfection and I couldn’t resist. With frosting too! Tiffany’s got this pumpkin thing down pat.
That’ll do it for this week’s hat tip to my fellow food bloggers. Thanks for the inspiring eats, ladies!
Is it really only Wednesday? My sleepy body is telling me Thursday, but hump day is better than Tuesday so I suppose I’ll take what I can get. This much-needed pic-me-up features snapshots from that Vancouver trip we took a couple of weeks back. If you like what you see, you’ll love the home video if I can ever get around to finishing it. Have a great day!
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of my current desires and distractions.
1. I am so excited for the new Exodus: Gods and Kings movie. I love the story of Moses and I love love love Christian Bale. I couldn’t be happier. (YouTube)
2. Loving this sweater for fall. I’ve had my eye on it for a while and think it’s time I finally pull the trigger. (LOFT)
3. Must watch: This video of six second-graders experiencing New York’s best in fine dining is the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time. (New York Times)
4. For someone who hated MTV’s Laguna Beach and The Hills, I’ve somehow become one of Lauren Conrad’s biggest fans. I love her style, her wedding and can now add her Beverly Hills penthouse to the list. (InStyle)
5. Have you ever heard of Twice? It’s like Buffalo Exchange, but online. What’s great is they’ll send you a free shipping kit to make sending your clothes in that much easier. They make you an offer after receiving your items, you can then accept and get paid via check, Paypal or Venmo, get a 25% bonus if you go with store credit, or decline and get your items back after paying a small shipping fee. How neat! (Twice)
6. Brian and I had a great meal at La Piquette with our friends Dan and Errin the other night. It was our treat to give them a long overdue thank you for the great pictures that Errin took of our proposal. The restaurant was their pick and we loved everything about it so do check it out. I recommend the Boeuf Bourguignon.
7. Spooky times are right around the corner. Here are 9 terrifying 2-sentence horror stories written by Reddit’s most talented and creepy. (Can You Actually)
8. Speaking of scary, a new study promoting the environmental benefits of peeing in the shower has started a movement to #GoWithTheFlow. I’m not so easily persuaded. Thoughts? (Refinery29)