welcome!Fortune Goodies is a blog of food + fun with a taste for desserts + diversion. Written lovingly by its baker + blogger Yang Yang, a girl so nice they named her twice. More.
current location: atlanta
most fortunate posts
fortune goodies fortuneWe can't help everyone. But everyone can help someone.
fortune goodies favorites
travel food guides
fortune goodies fun
the fine printCopyright 2013-2016, Fortune Goodies.
thanks for reading!
Author Archives: Yang
The next couple days are going to be pretty hectic with two big work events consuming my life. But before I run off to deal with this thing called a “day job”, I thought I’d leave you with some easy grilled-cheese inspiration. And yes, pimento cheese is involved. How could I not after Fryday’s post?
We’ve been eating a lot of sandwiches these days. You know, being house poor and all. But we’ve done a pretty good job of mixing our sandwich fixings up that it’s actually been a lot of fun, tasty too.
In most cases, Brian and I enjoy our sandwiches the same way, but when it comes to grilled cheese, we have very different tastes. I like mine with pimento cheese, and Brian prefers the goat variety. Because I’m an equal-opportunity grilled-cheese eater, you get to see both.
These days, I get a lot of questions about newlywed life, usually some variant of “Does it feel any different now that you’re married?” The short answer is “not really,” Brian and I had a happy and great relationship before and that part hasn’t changed. But if I’m going to be perfectly honest, there has in fact been a huge improvement in my life post-wedding, because I’m now back to enjoying some of my favorite foods. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.
Case in point: pimento cheese. Every day after work, without fail, I change into my pajamas and make myself a little snack of pimento cheese and goldfish crackers. We get the Palmetto-brand tubs from Costco on an almost weekly basis. This habit/addiction is not something I’m proud of, but I really really love it and find it so comforting after a long day at work. So, rather than curb my consumption, I thought I’d try my hand at Pimento Cheese Fritters. Because if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. Or something like that.
Most mornings, I’m so late rushing to work that I can barely remember to grab a yogurt on my way out the door. Then, every once in a while, I find a couple extra minutes (and I literally mean a couple, as in two) to treat myself to something special. Yesterday was one of those days, and as soon as I saw my opening, I called on my general knowledge of smoothie-making and threw together the Banana Breakfast Smoothie you see before you. It’s filling, deliciously banana-ey, and creamy with a touch of cinnamon. I need to hit the snooze button one less time more often.
For the next several Wednesdays, I’ll be rolling out pictures from different parts of our wedding day, and another honeymoon video too. If weddings aren’t your thing, consider this fair warning. If you are a fan (because who doesn’t love a wedding, really?), you’re in luck as today’s post starts with the very beginning when a girl and her friends, and a guy and his, decided to get dressed for a wedding. I’m gonna keep this one short and let the beautiful pictures by the talented Kayla speak for themselves.
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of the things I have on my mind.
1. We just came back from a great weekend in Naples, Florida and I really want more. If you’re in a similar boat, here’s a list of fall getaways that won’t break the bank. But what is the bank is already broken? #housepoor (Refinery29)
2. Ugh. If you haven’t already heard, you’re never gonna believe who Nick Jonas is supposedly dating. I find the whole thing very disturbing. (Bustle)
3. 11 beautifully converted attics. We have an attic, and if we can, I’d love to do something with it, but I’m afraid to even take a look because the home inspection said something about there once being rodents. No thank you. (Domino)
4. The art of charcuterie. What a beautiful and delicious art it is. (A House in the Hills)
5. I’m getting back to my old exercise routine and thought I’d share a link to Classpass for anyone who hasn’t heard of it. It’s pretty much changed my life and I love that Atlanta is one of the much more affordable cities. (Classpass)
6. Fun sweatshirts are my favorite thing to wear this time of year. This one in light grey and leopard print was an instant favorite. (Gap)
7. I’m now rereading Book 7 of the Harry Potter series and find these “Harry Shotters” drink recipes to be pretty brilliant. I’ll stick with butterbeer, but these sure are funny. (Pixable)
8. After what seemed like a really lame summer of lackluster blockbusters, I’m getting really excited for the upcoming awards season and the many great movies in store. This list is a pretty great primer of all the good-movie buzz. I can’t wait! Brian and I still need to watch Inside Out. (BuzzFeed)
Whenever I think about my bridesmaids, my heart swells with love and pride for the ladies I’m so lucky to call my friends. Between Rohini #romoh planning my wonderful Charleston bachelorette party, Megan designing my entire invitation suite (more on that to come), Jillian and Kasia spending a fortune hosting my bridal shower in DC, and my sis Kate ending her Costa Rica vacation early to join Rohini, Megan and me for last-minute prep work, I couldn’t have dreamed of more gracious, generous bridesmaids. One of these days, I hope to return the favor, but until then, I knew I needed to step up the day-of bridesmaid gift bag game to attempt an appropriate thank you.
Just as I was more excited in the bridesmaid-dress selection process than I was my own, I started gathering the items for these gift bags long before I’d figured out most other wedding details. Thanking my friends was a huge priority of mine, so this wasn’t something I took lightly. I’m also fully aware that I’m a little crazy, so for anyone who doesn’t have time to agonize over the contents of their own bridesmaid gift bags, I hope these suggestions come in handy. If I can help even one girl thank her best friends, I’ll have done my job. After all, women outlive men, so us girls really need to stick together. Here’s how I thanked the ones I plan to grow old and grey with. (more…)