Happy Fryday! I don’t know about you, but I can’t believe February is nearly over. Much more believable is the fact that I don’t have a single pound of weight loss to show it. Whoops.
With that in mind, I made these here delicious, baked zucchini fries to get me in the habit of eating a little healthier. To be fair, I just about tripled the original recipe’s cheese ratio, but that’s ok. Baby steps.
The cast of characters: 3 zucchinis, 2 egg whites, fine sea salt, pepper, italian bread crumbs, grated parmesan, garlic powder, and marinara sauce for dipping.
Start by cutting your zucchinis into fries like this. Each stick was about 3-inches in length and half an inch thick.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs whites, add sea salt and pepper, and whisk some more.
In a ziploc bag, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Zip the bag shut and shake the contents until combined.
Dip the zucchini sticks, a few at a time, into the egg-white mixture. Transfer them to the ziploc bag, seal, and shake until coated.
Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat until all fries are coated and laid out, then give them a once over with some more cooking spray.
Bake at 425° until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. And they’ll come out looking like this.
Serve these babies with a side of marinara sauce. I went with the store-bought variety.
And that’s it! A simple, cheesy, healthy alternative to the usual french fries. These make a great appetizer, side to a pasta dish, or a midmorning office snack as they were in my case.
I typically devote one or two of my weekday mornings to preparing food for this blog and my coworkers get to enjoy the freshly-made spoils of my labor. Lucky them. But enough about work, it’s the weekend! I hope you have a great one.
- 3 medium zucchinis sliced into fries, about 3-inches long and ½-inch thick
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites, add salt and pepper, and whisk some more.
- In a ziploc bag, place breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and garlic powder and shake well.
- Next, dip zucchini sticks, a few at a time, into the eggs then transfer them to the bread crumb and cheese mixture bag. Zip bag closed and shake to coat.
- Place the breaded zucchini sticks on the baking sheets in a single layer, repeat until all zucchini sticks are coated.
- Give them a once over with cooking spray on top before placing them in the oven.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.