I absolutely adore muffins. In fact, I might even like them more than I love cupcakes. And yet these here Banana Macadamia Muffins are only the second breakfast-pastry recipe on this blog (these were the first). Not okay.
On weekdays, I get my cereal from the pantry at work. On weekends, I sleep in and often skip breakfast altogether. That needs to change, because (1) they really do mean it when they call it the most important meal of the day, and (2) because there’s just too much good food to make and enjoy that cannot be confined to two sittings. Easy, grab-and-go muffins are the new way forward.
To make these you’ll need: ripe bananas, flour, dark brown sugar, macadamia nuts, milk, an egg, butter, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Prepare and bake the muffins much like you would any other recipe (full instructions below).
One fun thing that sets these apart is the chopped macadamia nuts on top. Half of the nuts go in the batter, the other half make for a nice garnish.
What a pretty, golden sight.
My muffins came out a little darker because I skipped the paper liners and didn’t give my butter much time to cool. I quite like the heavier color. As you bake yours, check on them to make sure a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. That’s when you’ll know they’re ready. They do not need to match the shade of brown you see above.
The result: delicious muffins reminiscent of banana bread, plus the bonus macadamia-nut crunch.
And there you have it. Muffin recipe number 2 with more on the way.
Oh, and Happy Monday! I hope you have a great, fulfilling week. Don’t skip on breakfast.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, sugars, butter, milk and egg.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add half of the chopped macadamia nuts to the batter and fold gently to combine.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining chopped macadamia nuts.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.