Believe it or not (and my boyfriend still doesn’t believe me), this was my first time making brownies. And I don’t just mean from scratch, I mean first-time-ever period.
You’re probably wondering how this is possible. How did this self-proclaimed baker girl go this long without baking a batch of brownies? What kind of scam is she running?
I promise there’s no scam, but I don’t have a satisfying answer for you. Because to be perfectly honest, I don’t know how or why I’ve never touched a brownie recipe. I’ve certainly consumed more than my fair share, but have always preferred baking cakes or pies instead. It’s kind of like how I’d rather watch Bridget Jones’s Diary over and over again and managed to go 24 years before seeing Back to the Future. Brownies weren’t really for me, but oh how things change. This recipe with its slightly sweet cream cheese addition made me a brownie believer.
I mean, would you look at that. How could I not change my tune?
So I’m not really sure what finally came over me. I needed to bake something for a small get together where one of my friends has a truly unrivaled love for all things chocolate. I wanted something that I could make ahead, that wouldn’t take much of my time, and something easy to transport. Brownies were the answer. Cheesecake brownies were the savior.
I’ve since become a total convert. I now know that baking brownies is about as stress-free as it can get. There’s nothing to arrange in neat rows, nothing to frost, and because no one ever complains about slightly underdone brownies, there’s nothing to worry about either.
Brownies are my newfound friend and I’ll be making up for lost time in the following weeks. Lucky for me, I’m a pretty fast learner.
I hope you give this recipe a try and have yourself a similar hallelujah moment.
Recipe note: I’ve always preferred milk chocolate to dark chocolate, so instead of using 4 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate as called for in the original recipe, I went with only 2 ounces of the semi-sweet stuff and swapped in 2 ounces of milk chocolate for the rest. It’s a welcome change that I highly recommend if you happen to have a big sweet tooth like me. Enjoy!
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chopped)
- 2 ounces milk chocolate chips (or chopped)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and both semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the sugar, then the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture, then add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg yolk, 4 tablespoons of sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Drop dollops of the cream cheese mixture across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and gently swirl the cream cheese mixture with the brownie batter.
- Bake or 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan is just set.
- Let cool and cut into squares. Enjoy!