Some days a chocolate chip cookie will go a long way to cheer you up. And then there are days when one little cookie isn’t nearly enough, and you want to eat one the size of your face. And if you’re really in a funk, the size of mine.
I was having one of those days last week (I’m much better now, thank you), and this here chocolate chip cookie baked in a skillet came to the rescue.
It’s as delicious and chewy a chocolate chip cookie as one could hope for, but what sets is apart is its incredible ease of execution. Forget about the scooping, dropping and placing on a cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Fill your skillet with dough and go. Easy.
You know what else is easy? Eating a second or third slice. Too easy.
And from one note of gluttony to another…
Papa John’s is catching on to this giant cookie thing too. Kindred spirits we are, that Papa and me.
I’ve never not maxed out my pizza toppings, but prefer just the one for my giant cookies. Funny how that works.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate for me)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mix until fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press the dough in to flatten, making sure the bottom of the pan is covered.
- Bake until the cookie is golden and the edges have browned 40 to 45 minutes. It'll keep cooking for a few minutes after it's out of the oven, so be careful not to let it sit in there for too long.
- After I took mine out of the oven, I pressed a few more chocolate chips into the top, because why not?
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges. Serve warm.
- Great à la mode too.