January 1st is almost here, which means the light at the end of the holiday-party-dessert tunnel is finally in sight. Thank goodness.
The last month has been a real crash course in easy, speedy dessert-making, which has proven to be a very useful and necessary survival tactic. My halfway-homemade fried cinnamon-sugar biscuits and banana-cream cupcakes were a big hit. But the greatest of them all is this here fruit tart. The crust is a breeze, the filling is a dream, and the fruit on top is nothing more than just fruit on top. The best part is it’s all homemade with none of the usual hassle. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you mine and your soon-to-be new dessert fallback.
Really as easy as 1-2-3, the whole process can be summed up with: process, beat and top.
In a food processor, combine 1½ sticks unsalted butter, 1½ cups flour and ½ cup powdered sugar. Process until the mixture forms a ball.
Transfer the dough to a tart pan and press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
After the crust bakes, it’ll need to cool, too. That’s when you’ll want to start making the tart filling. This one’s got cream cheese, granulated sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla and almond extract. Beat all that together and you’ve got your filling.
Note to self: Use more almond extract. The stuff is so darn good. Add that to my 2014 resolutions.
The rest should be pretty self explanatory, but let me explain anyway. Fill the crust with the cream-cheese filling, and top with fruits of your choice. For this one, I went with raspberries, blueberries and kiwis. They’re a good-looking, tasty bunch.
One more picture for posterity’s sake.
This one’s a good one to keep in the back pocket, and it’s just simple enough that you should have no trouble remembering all of the ingredients. My memory’s not what it used to be, but this recipe I can and want to handle.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened and sliced
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Fresh raspberries, blueberries, kiwi slices, whatever you like
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and powdered sugar, and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- With your fingers, press the dough into a tart pan with a removable bottom, making sure to push the crust into the pan's grooves. Pat until the crust is even.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until smooth.
- Spread the filling into the cooled crust.
- Top with berries, kiwis, or fruit of your choice.