Calling all green tea lovers! Have I got a treat for you. Green Tea Frosting made with always delicious cream cheese, that’s what. Frost your cakes with it, pipe it over your cupcakes, eat it by the spoonful, do whatever you want, just make sure you make it.
Come to think of it, green tea strangers should pay close attention as well. This stuff is so good that I’m convinced it’ll be your gateway into the big and beautiful green tea world that awaits you. I’m in way deep myself, so please trust me on this one and join me for the ride. You’ll never want to look back.
For the frosting you’ll need cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, Matcha green tea powder, and a few teaspoons of milk to thin things out if needed.
If you’ve ever made cream cheese frosting before, the rest should be pretty self-explanatory, but for those of you who haven’t, I’ve got you covered.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes
Next, stop the mixer and add powdered sugar and green tea matcha powder. Beat on low for 30 seconds, before increasing speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy for another 1 to 2 minutes.
If the frosting is a bit thicker than you’d like, you can thin it out by adding milk a half teaspoon at a time and mix until combined. I used 2 teaspoons of milk for mine.
For the final step, pipe over cupcakes of your choice.
I’m convinced the frosting would taste great over anything, but if you’re looking for a suggestion, I recommend taking the easy route with a boxed white cake mix and the small addition of a teaspoon of almond extract. It’s the perfect, low-maintenance solution for landing the almond and green tea flavor combination that I love so much.
Another simple trick to turn up any dessert’s Asian factor is a small sprinkling of sesame seeds. It’s something I picked up with these Matcha Green Tea Sugar Cookies.
And there you have it, special but easy Green Tea Frosting that has all of the goodness of traditional cream cheese frosting with a bonus full-bodied Matcha flavor. It’s sure to raise eyebrows and delight at the same time. This one’s definitely worth a try. Enjoy!
- 1 8-oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stop mixer and add powdered sugar and green tea matcha powder. Beat on low for 30 seconds, before increasing speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- If thicker than you'd like, add milk a half teaspoon at a time and mix until combined.
- Pipe over cupcakes of your choice.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for about 12 generously-frosted cupcakes, more if you use less per cupcake. I'd recommend doubling the recipe if you plan to make two dozen. I recommend using a boxed white cake mix to which you can add a teaspoon of almond extract. Almond and green tea go great together.