Today marks a special day in Fortune Goodies history. For the first time, I’ve invited a contributor: my ex-boyfriend-future-husband (think about it), Brian Weiss to share a recipe. Take it away Brian!
Guest Barista Brian: “You guys. Something is happening to me. When you date an Asian girl for nearly five years, your tastes start to… change. Suddenly I’m into all sorts of Asian things I was never into, green tea chief among them (still not into Hello Kitty or annoying selfies in crowded places though).
Anyhoo! You can imagine how excited I was to visit Peet’s Coffee and Tea over the summer and find their Jasmine Green Tea Lime Cooler. The perfect mix of sweet, Asian and cold as ice – just like Yang! (I’m clearly sleeping on the couch tonight). At $3 a piece these things aren’t cheap, so I thought I’d try my hand at making it at home. The results are just as good and much more affordable.
Start by boiling 8 cups of water and pouring it into a pitcher. Add five Jasmine Green Tea bags and let those suckers steeeeeeeeeeeep. Don’t even think about taking the tea bags out until the water comes down to lukewarm in temperature; somewhere between one and two hours.
At that point, you’re good to add the special ingredients that make this go from boring Jasmine tea to bomb.com Jasmine Lime Cooler. You’ll want to add about four tablespoons of sugar (¼ cup), four tablespoons of honey, and the juice of two limes. If you’ve got some strong taste buds and prefer things a little less sweet, throttle down on these ingredients, to taste. Or, if you want things to get really citrusy, throw in a cup of lemonade too.
Stir this Asian sensation and do what tea does best – chilllllll. No, seriously. I know the unbelievable floral smell of this will make you want to guzzle it down immediately but it really is best served ice cold. Let sit in the refrigerator at least three hours and ideally overnight. Pour into glasses filled generously with ice, throw in a lime slice for looks, then, enjoy!”
My heartfelt thanks to Brian for sharing his recipe. Maybe it’s just me and how badly I’ve missed him these last several days, but I had the biggest grin on my face reading what he had to say. Were you similarly tickled? Maybe, maybe not, but either way I love him so. Thanks, Brian!
- 8 cups water
- 5 bags jasmine green tea
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) sugar
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) honey
- 2 limes
- Start by boiling 8 cups of water and pouring it into a pitcher.
- Add five Jasmine Green Tea bags and let steep, leaving them in until the water comes down to lukewarm, between one and two hours.
- Add about four tablespoons of sugar (¼ cup), four tablespoons of honey, and the juice of two limes. Add more of any of the ingredients to suit your taste.
- Stir well and let chill in the refrigerator at least three hours and ideally overnight.
- Pour into glasses filled generously with ice, throw in a lime slice for looks.
- If you like things extra citrusy, add a cup of lemonade to the mix.