When I get ready for any sort of travel, I like to keep obsessively obnoxious packing lists. You probably do too. What I think might be a little more unique is my habit of making things-to-eat-before-leaving lists.
With a three and a half week trip to China just around the corner, that list includes plenty of good-for-you American staples, and looks something like this:
- Papa John’s
Chipotle (I’ve crossed that one off several times now)
- Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
- Lauriol Plaza Mexican food (planned for my last supper)
- Chili cheese fries from The Diner
I’m all about The Diner’s chili cheese fries. The barely uphill walk to Adams Morgan from my apartment is the excuse I use to justify getting them. If I’m having a bad day, I add their Honey Badger milkshake to my order. Since it’s been a rough week, I decided to make their delicious honey-banana milkshake myself.
This week’s pic me up is dedicated to Paris, the favorite destination of my daydreams. I can only hope my trip to China is half as wonderful as last year’s trip to the City of Lights.
A few current finds tickling my fancy:
1. These frozen treats are just what I need with the kind of weather we’ve been having.
2. I know it’s been out for a while now, but I still get incredibly giddy any time I watch the Anchorman 2 trailer.
3. I love everything about this outfit. My heart sank when I learned the shorts are already sold out.
4. Our President is quite the talented singer.
5. This list of now successful people who had it rough in their 20s brought me out of one of my i’m-so-behind-in-life funks.
6. Some good salt know-how.
7. A super handy infographic on healthy baking substitutes.
8. I’m dying to read Sophie Kinsella’s latest book, but am forcing myself not to start until I’m on the plane next week. Can’t wait!
This past weekend was a particularly difficult one. Time that I would have liked to spend at the pool and in the kitchen were spent sitting at a desk working on a never-ending class project for my upcoming trip to China. As always, I went into the weekend full of ambition thinking I could do it all. Hours and hours of homework? No problem! Baking for the blog too? You bet! Man, was I wrong.
Something had to give and this time the homework beat out the baking. So to make up for it I’m leaving you with this delicious recipe from the vault*: lemon supreme pie.
I wasn’t kidding when I said donuts were my weakness. Here’s more proof for you.
I wasn’t always this way. For a long time, if given the choice, I would pick an elaborate cupcake or thickly layered cake over a plain donut. These days, I’m very much about keeping things simple and these no-fuss (but plenty of muss) donuts let me give into my sweet tooth without giving up too much of my time.