If you’re looking for the ultimate crowd pleaser, look no further.
I’ve baked these peanut butter cup cupcakes a dozen times, most of the times by popular demand, and they are completely worth the hype. If you make these, I can guarantee you’ll impress your friends, and soon find your social calendar filling up very quickly.
I can say this because I’m pretty convinced they’re the one reason why Brian and I keep getting invited back to our friends’ place in Bethany Beach, because it’s definitely not for my frisbee skills. So you can understand my reservations about posting the recipe here for all to see, but ultimately I decided that I couldn’t not share. Just promise me you’ll find your own friends with beach houses and leave mine alone.
Not only are these cupcakes delicious, they’re also deceptively easy to put together. As pictured above, they’re really nothing more than cored chocolate cupcakes, filled with imitation reese’s filling, topped with a smooth peanut butter buttercream.
How difficult or easy you want to make it on yourself is entirely up to you. The original recipe calls for cupcakes from a box of Devil’s Food mix, but I like making my own.
Confession: to this day, my favorite chocolate cake recipe is the one on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa container. The “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake really is as advertised. I’ve tried countless recipes and keep coming back to this one. If you have a suggestion for something better, please share and save me from myself.
If you do go the cake-mix route, that’s completely ok too. The homemade filling and frosting are plenty to be proud of. In fact, the frosting is the absolute best part, and you’ll find yourself wanting to slather it onto anything you can get your hands on.
Make these for your next gathering, there’s still time between now and Labor Day to get a last-minute beach house invite. Best of luck to you.
- 24 chocolate cupcakes, made from a devil's food cake mix or a from-scratch recipe of your choosing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Bake, then core 24 chocolate cupcakes.
- Put butter and peanut and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds or until melted. Stir together.
- Mix in graham cracker crumbs (best crushed using a food processor) and powdered sugar until combined. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes to cool down.
- Once the mixture has cooled down a bit, roll a round tablespoon of filling into little balls, and place inside the cored cupcakes.
- Mix together salted butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and airy.
- Add peanut butter and mix until combined.
- Add powdered sugar in one cup increments, then add milk.
- Frost your cupcakes and cover up the peanut butter filling surprises inside.
- My favorite chocolate cupcake recipe is Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake.