I’m an Apples & Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal kind of girl. Have been for years. It’s easy, in bountiful supply at work, and at only 3 Weight Watchers points, why make oatmeal the not-instant way?
This pumpkin oatmeal is why. And I don’t believe I’m speaking out of turn when I say the kind-faced Quaker man would agree with me.
I’m all about shortcuts and taking time to cook oatmeal on the stove is very unlike me. Another foreign concept: appointment-free Sunday mornings. So when I woke up yesterday with nowhere to go, and a craving for pumpkin and breakfast, I took the three steps from my bed to the kitchen and knew what I had to do.
Passing over the packets of instant oatmeal for rolled oats seemed like a very big deal at the time. Looking back, I laugh at how silly I was, because oatmeal from scratch is the very opposite of a big deal. It took all of 8 minutes and everything I used, you see in the picture above: almond milk, rolled oats, pumpkin puree, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon pumpkin pie spice and agave nectar.
The recipe is very much customizable to your own taste, same goes for how you serve it. I topped mine with agave syrup, cinnamon and chocolate chips. Nuts would have been healthier, but I still stand by decision .
So good, it’s all gone.
Give it a try. A warm, fall-themed breakfast might be just what you need to get your week off on the right foot.
- 1 cup regular oats
- 2 cups almond milk, regular milk would do too
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsps brown sugar, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook oats and almond milk until it comes to a low boil.
- Next, stir in the rest of the ingredients: pumpkin puree, vanilla, brown sugar to taste, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Stir until combined and serve warm.
- Top with whatever you fancy. Enjoy!