Whenever I travel, the thing that I always miss most is Mexican food. Unless of course I’m in Mexico, but I’ve only ever been the one time. For whatever reason, the cuisine of our neighbors to the south just doesn’t translate as well anywhere else. We Americans are lucky. Already, Brian has been given clear and binding instructions to take me to the nearest Chipotle after he picks me up from the airport. Of course, Chipotle isn’t exactly authentic, and neither are these five Mexican-themed standouts from fellow food bloggers, but let’s not kid ourselves. They look incredible.
1. Brunch Time Baker’s Tater Tot Enchilada Bake. Words cannot express my excitement for this.
2. Or these adorable Tres Leches Cupcakes by The Kitchen McCabe.
3. Who doesn’t love 7-layer dip? Hopefully, no one. It was only a matter of time before a very bright someone (in this case, The Baker Mama), cut out the dipping and put the contents straight inside taco shells. Introducing: 7-Layer Tacos.
4. I love all hot sauces, but I especially love Cholula. It’s thicker and tastier than Tabasco, and I’m always rooting for the underdog, so you can imagine my excitement when I found this recipe for Baked Cholula Kitchen. Chew Town pays some major Cholula homage. Way to go.
5. Not only do I miss Mexican food, but I miss my usual breakfast fare. Don’t get me wrong, these European hotel breakfast buffets have been great, but I miss typical U.S. brunch foods. Chew Out Loud’s Enchilada Breakfast Casserole should help me with both my breakfast and Mexican cravings.
That’ll do it for this week’s recipe inspiration. T-minus two days until I’m back in the United States, where good Mexican is in abundance and me trying out these recipes for myself isn’t far off.