Away from my kitchen all week, I missed the boat on Halloween treats this year, but I’m fairly confident this roundup of great low-maintenance spook-inspired treats from around the blogosphere should more than make up for it.
1. I, like Julie of Coordinately Yours, often prefer marshmallows to traditional icing, and there is perhaps no better time for such a swap than on Halloween. Her homemade marshmallow ghosts are genius enough as is, but combine that with a chocolate ganache cake and her Hot Cocoa Ghost Cake creation is mind-blowing.
2. Going overboard on sweets is really easy to do on Halloween, which is why it’s important to balance out the candy with savory items. Recipe Runner’s Mini Spider Pizzas look like a great, easy and adorable way to do just that.
3. I love a good popcorn-candy mix and Back to Her Roots has the best one I’ve seen. Cassies’ Monster Munch with its popcorn, pretzels, candy corn, M&Ms, and peanuts is something to be admired and imitated. The song Monster Mash will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
4. If we could survive on candy alone, we would, but fruit’s important too. To keep things fun, Bit Squared has a great idea for Candy Corn Fruit Kebabs.
5. And finally, halfway homemade Meatball Mummies by Freshly Photographed that are sure to get you in the spooky spirit.
That’ll do it for this week’s hat tip to my fellow food bloggers. Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies!
Boo! (The fun, scary kind, obviously).