It’s feeling and looking a lot like fall here in DC. Leaves are scattered over sidewalks, pumpkin spice latte signs adorn the windows of our gazillion Starbucks locations, and I actually wore the cardigan that Brian insisted I take with me when we went out on Saturday night (thanks, Brian).
But let’s not give up on summer just yet. We still have a few days between now and September 22nd, so let’s make almost-as-good-as-at-the-campfire s’mores cookies instead.
Now, there are plenty of s’mores-cookie recipes out there, but I was feeling ambitious and wanted to try putting together one of my own. Using Martha Stewart’s Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe as my starting point, I made a few simple and obvious s’mores adjustments to put these cookies together. Tweaks like swapping out some of the flour for graham cracker crumbs, replacing the semi-sweet chocolate chips for mini Hershey’s kisses, and adding marshmallows. And it worked.
Now the one thing I hadn’t planned for was the bursting, melting marshmallows. I was a little sad to see these craters blemishing my cookies, but after the initial wave of disappointment passed, learned to embrace them. The candy-like hardness left by the disappearing marshmallows was actually kind of nice. Here’s to happy accidents.
So yeah, these cookies don’t look perfect, but looks aren’t everything. Taste is.
Brian, my boyfriend and sometimes taste tester (or is it the other way around?), called these cookies “OUTSTANDING” and added that they taste “eerily like a s’more.” Sounds about right to me.
Go ahead, give them a try and taste for yourself. And I apologize in advance for what I’m about to say next.
S’more summer please!
Ok, got that out of my system. Carry on.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mini Hershey's Kisses
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows plus more for topping each cookie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low, add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
- Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Top each cookie with a mini Kiss and marshmallow.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.