welcome!Fortune Goodies is a blog of food + fun with a taste for desserts + diversion. Written lovingly by its baker + blogger Yang Yang, a girl so nice they named her twice. More.
current location: atlanta
most fortunate posts
fortune goodies fortuneDon’t just spend time. Invest it.
fortune goodies favorites
travel food guides
fortune goodies fun
the fine printCopyright 2013-2016, Fortune Goodies.
thanks for reading!
Tag Archives: fortune finds
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of my latest desires and distractions.
1. I have so much respect for designers and graphic design is something I wish I’d studied. Too bad I can’t exactly go back to college, but I can do my best to emulate their skills by following this handy guide on how to become more design-minded. (The Everygirl)
2. How to never leave a restaurant unhappy. Speak up. (Washington Post)
3. Eyeing this color block striped sweater for my next purchase. God, how I love sweaters. (LOFT)
4. I’m also a huge sucker for weddings and loved Maroon 5’s new “Sugar” music video where they crashed real L.A. weddings. (Vevo)
5. Katie of Life with a Dash of Whimsy shared a great 5-minute fabric art DIY on the Wayfair blog. How exciting is that? (Wayfair)
6. I know I’m late to the wearable-fitness-tracker game, but I’m now the proud new owner of a Jawbone UP band (not to be confused with the newer UP24) and I’m quite happy with it. Sure it doesn’t sync automatically, but the light-grey color was more important to me (oh, the things we do for fashion) and it was only available in the first generation model. It’s significantly cheaper too, which was an added bonus. (Amazon)
7. Questions to ask yourself before you give in to your next craving. (Elle)
8. 32 Places You’ve Mispronounced Your Entire Life. I really appreciate this as someone born in Brisbane (Bris’bn). (Distractify)
Sorry for the tardiness today. I hope you’re having a lovely Tuesday. Here are some of my current desires and distractions.
1. Good news! I found a dress! I’m so relieved to check that big item off the list. Now it’s time for all the other things that come after. It never ends. (The Knot)
2. Interesting take on why the red carpet is actually bad for fashion. (Washington Post)
3. New favorite fast-food restaurant: Zaxby’s. I’m gonna love the South. (Zaxby’s)
4. I love discovering new products and Emily shared a great list. I’m especially into the kettle and Trader Joe’s hand soap. (Cupcakes and Cashmere)
5. The “it” skeleton girl of Instagram. My new favorite photos. (Bored Panda)
6. How to never look cheap. (Refinery29)
7. Only I would be excited about this, but the postal service just released their 2015 Year of the Ram stamps! I’m a fan. (USPS)
8. Surprising ways to score on Etsy. (The Everygirl)
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of the fruits of my web-surfing labor.
1. Just made this pretty glass water bottle mine. (J.Crew)
2. Downton Abbey is back and so are the fashion recaps. Poor Mr. Molesley. (Fashionista)
3. The 10 Movies You Need to See This Awards Season. I’m 5 for 10 but plan to make it 6 soon after I drag Brian to Into the Woods. (Elle)
4. Lessons to learn from 8 kids who are already making millions. Can I adopt one please? (Entrepreneur)
5. New years are always a fun time to look back in time, like with these smells that 90’s girls will never forget. (BuzzFeed)
6. I’m not good with dog breeds, but have found this “Dogs of the World” infographic to be both helpful and so gosh dash adorable. I especially like how the dogs are grouped by geographic region. When Brian and I get a dog, I’d love to get an Asian breed, you know, to keep it in the family. (Doggie Drawings)
7. The 22 Most Hipster Foods on the Planet. I’m guilty of loving pickles, kimchi and tacos, but I’m a far cry from a hipster. (Huffington Post)
8. I still have no clue what kind of wedding china I want, but I do appreciate this Splurge vs. Save comparison. (Brides)
Oh and one more thing! Cleveland was named one of the top places to visit in 2015 by The L.A. Times! This news validates everything. If you haven’t already, you can see my save the dates here.
I hope this last Tuesday of 2014 finds you well. Here are some of my current desires and distractions.
1. Tips and tricks for making all of your 2015 resolutions a little easier. The overall messages I like, the obvious product-pushing at the end of each point, not so much. (Refinery29)
2. 12 Tidy Homes for New Year’s Clean-spiration. I need all the ideas I can get. (Design*Sponge)
3. The perils of texting while walking and why we should all make resolutions to stop. (New York Times)
4. Brian and I spent a bulk of our time in my parents’ basement home theater and it was awesome. The movies themselves weren’t so great (Unbroken, Sex Tape, Blended, and Jersey Boys), so instead of picking the movies at random, next time, I’ll try to follow this list of movies to watch with your significant other. (Bustle)
5. Finally. Jay of Serial fame speaks in an exclusive interview. I don’t know what to think anymore! (The Intercept)
6. Ever since his epic 2009 mix, I’ve waited for DJ Earworm’s yearly pop mashups with much anticipation. Most years I’ve been disappointed because they come nowhere close to that first introduction, but the new 2014 edition sure is giving it a run for its money. I’m a big fan. (YouTube)
7. One Direction’s Night Changes is my song of the moment, and the video is pretty great too. Niall was already my favorite, but seeing him in that sweater, playing Monopoly really truly sealed the deal for me. (Vevo)
8. To end things on a high note, here are 26 charts and maps that show the world is getting much, much better. You did good, 2014. (Vox)
I hope this Tuesday finds you well (even if it’s nearly over). Here are some of my latest desires and distractions.
1. Men drawing vaginas. It’s hilarious but also proves an important point. (.Mic)
2. Come January Netflix will add the entire Friends series to its streaming library (!). To make room, they’re goodnighting some other content (list here), so be sure to fit that final Love Actually viewing in while you still can. (Refinery29)
3. Four words: Backstreet Boys documentary. Yes. (YouTube)
4. I got lunch with Chloe of Little House Big City fame last week and as we traded blogging stories, we got to talking about Mormon bloggers (Love Taza is my favorite) and how they’ve really got this whole thing figured out (complete generalization, I know). Chloe then introduced me to Style By Emily Henderson and pointed out this post entitled “Martha and Mormons” explaining their propensity for blogging. (Emily Henderson)
5. Speaking of Martha, here she is at her social media best. Perhaps she’s got literal butter fingers from all that baking? (BuzzFeed)
6. The Serial finale didn’t do it for me. This SNL spoof however, so so good. (Mashable)
7. 7 Great Podcasts to Get Hooked on Now that Serial’s Over. (TIME)
8. If you’re in need of last-minute Christmas gifts (like, ahem, me), Chloe has a great gift guide for the DIYer. I especially love the gold Nate Berkus scissors. (Little House Big City)
I hope this Tuesday finds you well. Here are some of my current desires and distractions. Also, Happy Hanukkah!
1. The 2014 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog. Totally on point, but I still love and want it all. (Deadspin)
2. How Mindy Lahiri Are You? I was disappointed to learn I’m only “Mindy-ish.” (BuzzFeed)
3. A fake-out international airfare-booking tip that can save you big bucks, or euros, or pesos. (Time)
4. I haven’t skied in over a decade, but Brian’s never been and is coming home with me for Christmas, so I’m giving it another go. So far, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the shopping in preparation for the skiing. Favorite purchase? These great socks. (Columbia Sportswear)
5. Tonight’s the first night of Hanukkah. Light up the night with this great parody of “Shake it Off.” Not only is it catchy, but it’s so well written that you actually learn quite a lot about the holiday. (YouTube)
6. If you’re in need of a great guy’s stocking stuffer, look no further. The Wallet Ninja is your answer. The creator was recently interviewed on Bloomberg Television and I loved the concept. Great gift, right? (Wallet Ninja)
7. Mesmerized by this video of an expert gift wrapper doing his thing. I’ve taken notes. (The Telegraph)
8. Caffeine-free ways to beat that midday slump. Music to my coffee-abstaining ears. (Huffington Post)