welcome!Fortune Goodies is a blog of food + fun with a taste for desserts + diversion. Written lovingly by its baker + blogger Yang Yang, a girl so nice they named her twice. More.
current location: atlanta
most fortunate posts
fortune goodies fortuneRivers need springs.
fortune goodies favorites
travel food guides
fortune goodies fun
the fine printCopyright 2013-2016, Fortune Goodies.
thanks for reading!
Tag Archives: mexican
Hello, hello. I hope your week is off to a great start, I know mine is because I’m still digesting last night’s great dinner at Lauriol Plaza, one of my very favorite DC restaurants, the subject of today’s post, and the latest addition to my District of Calories restaurant recommendations.
As Brian gets ready to move to Atlanta (yep, Atlanta will eventually be our new home, but Brian is getting a head start), we’re making a point of dining at our favorite DC restaurants with our favorite DC people and Lauriol was at the very top of the list.
Whenever I travel, the thing that I always miss most is Mexican food. Unless of course I’m in Mexico, but I’ve only ever been the one time. For whatever reason, the cuisine of our neighbors to the south just doesn’t translate as well anywhere else. We Americans are lucky. Already, Brian has been given clear and binding instructions to take me to the nearest Chipotle after he picks me up from the airport. Of course, Chipotle isn’t exactly authentic, and neither are these five Mexican-themed standouts from fellow food bloggers, but let’s not kid ourselves. They look incredible.
1. Brunch Time Baker’s Tater Tot Enchilada Bake. Words cannot express my excitement for this.
2. Or these adorable Tres Leches Cupcakes by The Kitchen McCabe.
3. Who doesn’t love 7-layer dip? Hopefully, no one. It was only a matter of time before a very bright someone (in this case, The Baker Mama), cut out the dipping and put the contents straight inside taco shells. Introducing: 7-Layer Tacos.
4. I love all hot sauces, but I especially love Cholula. It’s thicker and tastier than Tabasco, and I’m always rooting for the underdog, so you can imagine my excitement when I found this recipe for Baked Cholula Kitchen. Chew Town pays some major Cholula homage. Way to go.
5. Not only do I miss Mexican food, but I miss my usual breakfast fare. Don’t get me wrong, these European hotel breakfast buffets have been great, but I miss typical U.S. brunch foods. Chew Out Loud’s Enchilada Breakfast Casserole should help me with both my breakfast and Mexican cravings.
That’ll do it for this week’s recipe inspiration. T-minus two days until I’m back in the United States, where good Mexican is in abundance and me trying out these recipes for myself isn’t far off.
Slow-cooker season is here! If you don’t already own a slow cooker, I suggest you add one to your Christmas list immediately. The empowerment I feel when I come home to the fragrant smell of a warm, ready-to-eat meal after a long day at work is a feeling that can’t be beat. So go get a slow cooker and christen it with this recipe for ridiculously easy Mexican chicken soup.
If you own a slow cooker, you’ve likely already made this, and you’ll understand why I needed to share it in the off-chance someone hasn’t. The 3,800+ outstanding All Recipes reviews on what’s better known as a recipe for “Chicken Taco Soup” should speak for themselves, but let me tell you about it anyway.