My best friend Rohini comes to town tomorrow and I cannot wait. Today’s throwback post is in her honor.*
Almost exactly two years ago (it seems like only yesterday), we made her favorite Pillsbury funfetti cupcakes, but we made them from scratch. As these homemade things tend to go, it took several more steps and many more minutes, and we didn’t mind. Baking with your long-distance best friend while reminiscing about the old days in between spoonfuls of frosting is a beautiful thing. It should be savored, and spending a little or a lot more time in the baking process is fine by me.
Recipes for the cupcakes and best-ever (trust me) vanilla buttercream after the jump.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg & 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating on low.
- Next, add the vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, end with the flour mixture.
- Fold in rainbow sprinkles.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.
- Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds.
- Scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds.
- Then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.