This is my favorite picture. It’s my iPad wallpaper. I love it so much. So it’s only fitting that I would revive* these healthier-for-you oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies for this first Throwback Thursday post.
They’re healthier, because they’re made with unsweetened applesauce and less butter. They’re delicious because who doesn’t like chocolate chips and oatmeal? The combination of all of the above culminates into the chewiest, almost guilt-free cookie there is.
Confession: As someone who regularly consumes oatmeal in its small instant form, I get a major kick each time I pick up one of those big 2-pound oats canisters from the grocery store. Oatmeal for giants!
I still have some growing up to do.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup give or take (mostly give) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Mix together the butter, applesauce, sugars until nice and creamy
- Beat in eggs, stir in vanilla
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to the mix until well blended
- Mix in oats and chocolate chips
- Drop heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, make these cookies as big or little as you want
- Bake 13 minutes or so, and let cookies cool before removing then from the pan, they can get messy.