Everyone knows about chocolate brownies and some people may have heard of “blondies,” a vanilla-based counterpart to the heavy chocolate focus of a traditional brownie, but have you ever considered that there was more to brownies than vanilla or chocolate? Provided below is a recipe for a type of brownie that focuses on the flavor profile of matcha green tea. Feel free to think of these baked goods as white chocolate “greenies.”
Ingredients for Brown Butter Green Tea Brownies
- Butter, unsalted, 1/2 cup, browned
- Chocolate, white, 4 oz
- Matcha green tea powder, 2 tbsp
- Sugar, granulated, 1 cup
- Sugar, brown, light, 1/4 cup
- Eggs, three
- Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Flour, AP, 1 cup
- Optional: Salt, flaky, 1/4 tsp
Tools and Equipment for Brown Butter Green Tea Brownies
- Cake pan, 8″ square
- Parchment paper
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixer, either handheld or freestanding
Directions for Making Brown Butter Green Tea Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is warming up, grease up your baking pan and lines it with parchment paper. Set the readied baking pan aside for now.
- Heat your butter over high heat until it completely melts. Instead of taking the melted butter off the heat, change your heat to the low setting. Continue applying heat to the butter until you begin to see small, brown-colored bits of matter appearing. This is the moment when you need to remove the butter from the heat as you have sufficiently browned it.
- Add your white chocolate and matcha into a small bowl, followed by pouring brown butter over the top of the mixture and stirring everything up until the chocolate has melted. Give the chocolate/butter/matcha blend two minutes to cool off.
- In a large bowl, bring the sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together. Apply your mixer to it all until such time that it becomes a thick, creamy, and uniform mass; this should take somewhere between five and 10 minutes.
- While you are mixing, stream in the ganache (the chocolate, butter, and matcha), using a whisk until you have a nice, uniform green-colored mass.
- Sift your flour into the large mixing bowl and use a spatula to gently fold it into the batter until you have something resembling a green cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pan you greased and lined back in step 2.
- Bake for an amount of time between 20 and 30 minutes. Feel free to stab it with a toothpick to test if it is done; you will know your brownies are ready if the toothpick is free of batter when you pull it out.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and give them a good slam on the counter to free up any air held within.
- If you feel like being a little extra, give them all a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and return the brownies to the oven for another 10 minutes of baking.
- When you are all done baking these deliciously fudgy green tea brownies, give them 20 minutes to cool before letting anyone have a bite.
When everything is said and done, you will have nine delicious brownies imbued with the goodness of matcha green tea and white chocolate.
Adriana is a baker owns her own bake shop. She also teaches classes at a local community center and workshops. She also volunteers on various feeding programs.